Saturday, February 2, 2019

Week 2/3|| Czech New Wave

To those that are concerned: My tummy is back to normal! I am quite grateful that antacid is an English/Czech cognate and I was able to settle things. Funny story, I was rushing to hang out with a friend and there weren't any clean cups in the apartment so I decided to take a waterfall from the water filter pitcher. I lifted it above my mouth, and realized that that was what had been stinking up the apartment for the past week, which is quite concerning because I drink drank a lot of my water from there. So maybe that's were it came from, making my "Something in the Water" title to my previous post unsettlingly salient.

     Another week down, another diary entry at the keys. This week saw the start of filmstuffs, watching four films from Czechoslovakia's New Wave of film (when filmmakers, most, if not all, of which studied at FAMU, were making more arthouse films in the period between 1963 and 1968, after the film studios were no longer run by the state but before the Communist occupation). They follow a looser narrative structure, less cause-and-effect, which can sometimes be hard to watch. There was one film that actually made me question "hmm, is this what I want to be this semester, let alone as a career?" but that was a film that was far off the deep end. ANYWAYS, real classes/orientation/something else I guess, start this upcoming week, and a steady schedule of 9am is awaiting me. Joy.

     This has not quite felt like school yet, even though I was having about 6hrs of class per day last week, which is a good sign. My father, a man who has worked 12hr shifts, 6 days a week for as long as I could remember, attributes his longevity to a love of what he is doing, and I like to think that I am on a similar path. On this topic, I miss my parents. Blessed be the technology that allows us to travel thousands of miles with a couple taps; I shall FaceTime them soon.

     We traveled to a small Czech in the south this weekend, Český Krumlov, and I got my first "Oooh a Black person, I want a photo with them!" instance. Long story short, it was not even me they were drawn to (idk they were speaking in Russian or something and only spoke to us in a few key English words like 'yes, photo!') but my my friend, who is a Black girl, but I ended up being a part of the photo too and making sure I dragged the white friend with us lol. It's whatever. I did not want to come off as rude after something of an understanding that we would be in a photo together had been made, but if that situation never happened ever again I would be glad.

The city itself was charming and quaint, though.





   

No comments:

Post a Comment