Monday, May 22, 2017

Day 1: Los Angeles

Okay, so maybe this isn't me officially on my trip, but it is an important part of the process, and if there is anything that I have learned in my 18 years of living, it is to #TrustTheProcess. It is currently 4:30am, and I am doing all the last minute dotting of i's and crossing of t's. I do not feel any general excitement or trepidation yet, but I figure it will come with time. Packing is all but done, and I am listening to some classic Big Time Rush.

We should be leaving at around 10am, and everything is falling into place nicely. I feel prepared, although there are still some reservations and comedy clubs that I need to look into, but at times like this I refer back to a quote from Thomas Jefferson, "I'm a firm believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

Currently, I am not expecting anything much from the first day on the road. I will be staying with my cousin, Theresa, and her family in Scottsdale, AZ, and just hope to get settled in and gather my wits about me. I hope to go to a city in La Paz County, AZ at some point, but I will figure that out soon.

General Trip Expectations:
  • Father - Son bonding: We'll be sharing a car, adventures, laughter, and experiences. Should be interesting.
  • GREAT MUSIC: I got aux 24/7, quit playing.
  • Understanding of leisure time: People attend these shows for fun, as a way to decompress after a long day or week, so what does the type of material they are presented with say about what they are most comfortable with? Especially when it comes to it being somewhat of a restorative experience.
  • Pain: People feel betrayed. No one trusts politicians (and understandably so) and my questions will aim to reach the nuanced base of our political affiliations and culture of 'settling' when it comes to elections.
  • Comedic diversity: Every comic has a background that they can bring to their humor, and I look forward to not only watching but also engaging with these comedians to learn about why they do what they do, why they do it that way, and what have they learned about their audiences.
  • Not a pop, but an expansion: I don't think people can ever pop whatever bubble they live in, it's human nature and it gives us a sense of security, but I hope to expand my bubble to better understand and be cognizant of what this country encompasses.

We're going to have some fun, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment