Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Power of Human Contact

(I initially planned on titling this "The Power of a Handshake" but I did not want to come across as ableist. Plus we, as humans, can relate and connect with each other beyond physical means)

I always end my interviews with an extension of my hand, hopefully reciprocated in a handshake. Of course, if I detect that someone is physically unable to engage in that contact I will not bring it up. But I always want to end my interviews with thanks and a handshake.

Earlier, during the school year, I was chatting with a friend of mine, Nirel, about how I find it much easier to have conversation with people when I realize that we are all the same. I, like many others, have dealt with insecurities in the past, but I was mistaken to think that it made me less than when compared to others. We are all humans, we all have concerns, we all have needs. And, particularly with this project, everybody has life experience that they can offer.

Thankfully I have yet to have any issues with people refusing to participate in this simple gesture, but I know that some people out there who would. That deep seated fear and misunderstanding of others is unacceptable and something that I am working to change. Who knows how far this project may reach, but you only need to touch one person to start something bigger than yourself.

So I give a handshake. I want this to mean "thank you," "peace be with you," "have a nice day," "I wish the best for you," and much more.

I appreciate every person I interview. And every person that declines, whatever their reason may be. When we can putting our prejudices behind us and respect people more then we can collectively see how equal we all are and want to be treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment